Lima Bean Soup
A hearty, rustic soup that will warm you on cool fall nights.
- 4 bacon strips
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red sweet pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 4 cups lima beans
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Slice bacon into small pieces. Add to a soup pot over medium heat, stirring until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon from the pot, but leave most of the fat.
- Add in the carrots, celery, onion, and peppers. Add in salt, pepper and oregano. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and lima beans, along with the peeled and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cream; heat through but do not boil. Stir frequently.
- Sprinkle with bacon right before serving.
Handling & Storage
Store lima beans in the refrigerator in a tightly closed plastic bag. Lima beans can be frozen out of the pod and cooked without thawing.
If they are not already shucked, remove the lima beans from their pods before making the recipe.
Total Fat: 4.3 g
Saturated Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 498 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 20.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
Sugars: 3.2 g
Protein: 8.0 g