Kale & Sausage Soup
A hearty fall soup that will keep you warm – the best of both worlds.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 24 oz. original V-8 juice
- 12 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 16 oz. cannellini beans
- 5 cups kale, deribbed and torn
- In a large stock pot, cook sausage over medium-high heat. Stir often until sausage crumbles start to brown. Add in onion and garlic, saute.
- Add chicken stock and V-8 juice into pot. Scrape bottom of pot to season liquid.
- Add in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Break up tomatoes as the soup comes up to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and add in cannellini beans. Simmer covered for 25 minutes.
- . Uncover, add in kale, stir constantly as kale wilts in soup. Once softened, remove from heat and serve.
Handling & Storage
There are several different types of kale. They come in bunches that have small to medium leaves. Kale can be stored in a plastic bag for up to 5 days in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
Make sure to wash thoroughly before eating. Remove the stalk and center vein by hand or with a knife. Depending on the recipe, chop or tear the leaves.
Total Fat: 4.1 g
Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Sodium: 636 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 37.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.7 g
Sugars: 8.1 g
Protein: 18.2 g