Green Bean Almondine
No more boring string beans with this nutty recipe.
- 1½ lb green beans, ends snipped
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¹/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, unsalted
- Add salt and green beans in a large sauce pan of boiling water for 5 minutes; beans will still be crisp. Drain. Place in a large bowl.
- Heat a small skillet over medium low heat, add in slivered almonds. Stir constantly to keep almonds moving so they don’t burn. Once they are lightly toasted, remove and set almonds aside.
- Heat olive oil in the small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add lemon juice and pepper. Remove from heat and drizzle over green beans. Toss with toasted almonds.
Handling & Storage
Select brightly colored green beans that snap easily when bent. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to a week.
To prepare, wash beans in cold water before cutting and cooking, then snip both ends. To retain sweetness and crispness, trim beans but keep whole.
Total Fat: 7.9 g
Saturated Fat: 1.0 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 223 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 7.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
Sugars: 1.5 g
Protein: 2.3 g