Cherry Tomato Sauce
A deep flavor sauce created using cherry tomatoes that thickens quickly.
- 3 quarts of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking trays with foil. Drizzle with 1½ tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half, place cut side up on trays in single layer. Place 2 garlic cloves per tray. Coarsely chop basil leaves; sprinkle evenly between trays.
- Sprinkle balsamic vinegar, salt, sugar, remaining olive oil on top.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes until tomatoes are tender. Remove from oven.
- Using a food processor or blender, process roasted tomatoes, garlic, and basil until desired consistency. The sauce is thick.
- Use immediately or freeze in zipper bags or plastic containers.
Handling & Storage
Look for tomatoes that are bright in color with smooth skin. Ripe tomatoes should give under a little pressure, but do not pick ones that are too soft or have obvious bruising.
Store at room temperature, away from sunlight. Use within a few days of picking.
To prepare, remove green stems before use. Rinse under cold water.
Total Fat: 2.7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 203 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 7.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
Sugars: 5.1 g
Protein: 1.7 g