Beet & Potato Salad
A great side dish to make at home or bring to a summer picnic.
- 1 pound russet potatoes
- ½ cup green peas, shelled
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 3 beets, roasted
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Cut potatoes into a ½-inch dice. Place in saucepan, cover with water. Cook on high heat, bringing to a rapid boil, stirring occasionally. Once the water boils, cook potatoes for 2-3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and drain into colander. Rinse gently with cold water to stop cooking.
- Cut roasted beets into ½-inch dice. Chop remaining vegetables.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the vegetables and cooked potatoes to the bowl. Gently fold to combine ingredients without breaking the potatoes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Handling & Storage
Cut the leaves off the beets, leaving about 1 inch stems. Store leaves in a plastic bag in the vegetable drawer for no more than 3 days. Use the leaves in salads.
Place the beets in a separate plastic bag. Store beets in the refrigerator for up to a week, or a little longer. To prepare, scrub beets with a brush, remove roots, then cut as desired.
Total Fat: 10.6 g
Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 321 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.1 g
Sugars: 7.7 g
Protein: 3.9 g