Apples & Cabbage
Try stepping away from those go-to holiday dishes and create a new tradition.
- 2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- 3 medium tart apples
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Core, peel and slice apples into wedges. Core and slice cabbage thinly.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the apples and cook for 2 minutes, until they soften. Add the cabbage, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, vinegar, and sugar. Gently stir the cabbage and apple mixture to coat, and the cabbage wilts.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Then remove lid and cook for another 10 minutes to reduce the liquid. Stir occasionally, but gently so the apples do not turn to sauce.
Handling & Storage
Look for cabbage heads with shiny, compact leaves that are heavy for their size and free of blemishes.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight plastic bag. If you store a section, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and use within 2 days.
To prepare, remove outer leaves and cut cabbage into pieces, then wash well under running water.
Total Fat: 6.2 g
Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 952 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 35.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.8 g
Sugars: 26.0 g
Protein: 2.9 g
Serving suggestion: Goes well with pork chops.